Fishballs (fish balls) is one of my favorite treats from the Philippines. It is often sold by street vendors using a cart with deep frying pans. Nowadays, it can also be purchased in little stalls in the malls.
Fishballs are made out of shredded, ground or pounded fish and made into balls. It is usually fried but sometimes is cooked in different forms. It can be mixed with noodles, too.
When you eat it for a snack, it is usually dipped in a sauce. There are three different choices for its dipping sauce.
First is the vinegar sauce which is made up of vinegar, red chili peppers, diced onions and garlic. The sweet and sour sauce (orange in color) is another sauce used. Lastly, the sweet brown sauce or some people call it the Manong’s Brown Sauce is the most famous of all.
Fishballs are not only a favorite in the Philippines but are also loved in the different parts of Asia. It can also be found in many Asian stores here in the United States.
When I learned about it, I got so excited and immediately bought some. My cravings were definitely satisfied.
In this post, I have included the printable recipe of the famous Manong’s Sauce (Brown sauce) and video for tutorial.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 small pieces of onions
- 1-2 pieces of red hot chili peppers
- 4 cups of water
- 3 tbsp of flour
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
- 3 tbsp of soy sauce
- 3/4 cups of brown sugar
- Mince the onions and garlic.
- In a bowl, pour the water. Mix and dissolve the flour, cornstarch and the sugar. Then add the soy sauce. Once everything is dissolved, put the mixture in the pan and bring to boil.
- Once it boils, lower the heat and mix the minced onions, garlic and chili pepper.
- Continue mixing until the mixture becomes thick in texture.
- While waiting for the sauce to thicken, it's the perfect time to fry the fishballs in the deep fryer. This is best eaten while it's still hot.
You might want to check another yummy snack, check this post out and watch the video below: